Sunday, September 14, 2008

Long Time I know

Wow, I didn't realize so much time had passed since the last time I updated everyone. Life has been crazy here and I just haven't taken the time for "playing" on the computer. So I am gonna give a quickie review on each person and then I will get on to the fun posts with pictures.

Mike: Has been working his heart out with this new crew. Bless him, he is getting a crash course in management and how lazy some people can be. This has kept him away from us for most of the time that the boat has been in Miami, since there was so much work to do, he would just stay there to finish it. Luckily he was able to take a week of leave this past week to spend with us before he left this morning to go to a school in VA. He will be back Friday the 26th and then his crew takes back over the boat on that Saturday so he may be immediately gone again for another 3 weeks! We were telling Jakob last night that Mike had to go to the airport and go to a school. When told that the school was for 14 days Jakob lowered his head and gave his signature over the eyebrow look and said, "But that's for too long a days. I don't want that. Can I go with Mike?" Bless his heart Mike about started to cry.

Jakob: Has been going to school and for the most part really starting to enjoy it. We are having a little bit of issues with administration and the fact that South Florida Education standards are no where near our standards so we are still fine tuning some things with his teacher, who fortunately (for her and my sanity) seems to be very receptive. He is making friends both at school and through our playgroup and wants them to always come over and play. He started Ju Jitsu at the Y. I was a little surprised since it was not the form of Ju Jitsu that my Dad and brothers studied but he has a really good instructor and likes it a lot.

Hazel: Well this child knows how to work her Daddy! She has been (almost literally) up his behind ever since the boat came back from Tampa. She even got to a point where she didn't want anything to do with me and only her Daddy. Of course this make Mike beam to the high heavens. She is talking a bit more now but understands just about anything you say to her. We are starting to work on potty training but that is proving to be a challenge since she apparently thinks that its not ok to pee in the potty. But I'm sure it will happen in its own good time. She has started to show her tomboy side by climbing in and on everything she possibly can which has resulted in multiple goose eggs on her head and ultimately one black eye. I swear someone is going to think we beat our children!

Me: Ok well I have started back to school to try and finish my BA in Education. I am trying to be able to obtain my specialty in ESE (Learning Disabilities) but am not sure if we will be here long enough for me to finish it. I may just have to get my BA online and go back later for my specialization. The first week the boat was with the other crew I caught the stomach flu and felt near death for the entire week. Thank Heavens Mike was able to take a couple of days off and take care of the kids so I didn't end up getting them sick too. Throughout this time I was battling with Jakob's school on the fact that what they had proposed was the teaching methods was not what was actually going on in the classroom according to Jakob. The most frustrating thing for me was that this school is the best option for us as far as school since putting him in private would range from $5000- 7500 a year and we just don't have it. So at one point I was seriously thinking of homeschooling him (and may still after Christmas) but was given a little sign and push from God by one of my class requirements. I have to spend 30 volunteer hours in a school this semester and Jakob's school is allowing me to fulfill those hours in his classroom! Things seem to be a bit better or I am more at peace being able to be in the classroom. We will see. Also I have taken on the responsibility of a play date preschool time here at the house, which is giving me crash course in lesson planning and working with multiple ages. I am excited and look forward to sharing updates.


Well that seems to sum up the past few weeks for us. I am sure that I am missing something but I will probably include it with the pictures in later posts. God Bless!

No comments: