Monday, September 22, 2008

Just when all hope was lost

For some of you whom I talk to or e-mail on a more regular basis, you know the personal and literal struggle I have been going through these past few weeks concerning Jakob's class. As of Saturday night I was intent on finishing my volunteer hours and pulling him out of school to wrap up the school year at home. After two completely sleepless nights of looking through curriculum and trying to figure out how in the world we would pay for the needed materials, I was left with no answers other than to pray. And so I have feverishly, for an answer, some peace concerning my newly decided venture and the strength to do it all.
I went to Jakob's school today to help with science time and .. well honestly I was shocked. I get there during recess and the kids are usually loud and fussing and hitting and generally out of control while the teacher feverishly tries to put together homework papers into folders and go over behavior charts to send home to the parents. This is where I spend the majority of the time instructing the chilren to not throw things at eat other, to use their communication skills instead of tattling, and generally being a zoo keeper for lack of a better word. The playground had an erie quietness about it and I saw eight children sitting on benches in timeout. I walked up to Jakob's teacher and asked her if they had a rough morning and she just smiled and nodded. So I sat down expecting once the "timeout kids" had served their time I would be back to my normal routine. Nothing! I was astounded.
Back inside the classroom we were preparing for the experiment and getting students together and their attentions to the front of the class where they needed to be and I watched in amazement as Jakob's teacher was able to command (with very little distraction) the classroom into following directions, an on topic discussion of the subject at hand, and an excersise in making a hypothesis! The kids worked through their experiment fairly uninterrupted and with good behavior and seemed to really understand (for the first time since I had been in the class) the topic of conversation.

As I left the class this afternoon I felt as though the biggest anvil had been taken off my heart. I realize it was only one day, but to see the class being conducted like a class and see the realization of learning in the kids eyes made me so happy I cried. I know in my heart that this was God giving me the strength and courage and ability to stay strong and stick with it a little longer. I pray that this continues, not only for me to not have to pull Jakob out of school but for the other 18 children in his class that are good kids and deserve to learn. Thank you God!!!!

1 comment:

erinshelton said...

YAY! I love to hear about answered prayers. Still praying!!!